If you use checkerboard targets in scan projects, please note the following explanations and hints for scanning and registration in FARO Scene:
- Checkerboard targets can be fixed to walls or the like (magnetic checkerboards, EasyTargets). Alternatively, you can use pivotable checkerboards, in other words the checkerboard is oriented towards the scanner (small checkerboards, large checkerboards, pivoted checkerboards).
- The laser's angle of incidence shouldn't be more than 45°.
- To detect the checkerboard, the software needs at least 4 scan points on each quadrant (black/white area).
- The center of the checkerboard target is calculated by means of edge detection. The better the line between black and white is identified, the better the calculated center is in the real center.
The software FARO Scene calculates fixed checkerboard targets (EasyTargets, magnetic targets) and pivotable checkerboard targets (small and large checkerboards, pivoted checkerboard) in different ways. That's why you have to pay regard to the default setting of scan placement:
- If you use pivoted checkerboard targets (orientation towards the scanner), you should deactivate the box "Use Checkerboard Normals" in the default setting of placement of scans in Scene Software. If you use fixed checkerboard targets, please activate the box.
- Please note: Using the calculated normal of a checkerboard target, the software can realize a better attribution among the targets. In case of pivoted checkerboards, the normal changes and wouldn't be detected anymore in Scene!!!
How can I change the default setting of the placement of scans?
- The adjustment can be done in the default scan settings or manually for each scan placement.
- If you want to define the default placement settings, please select Tools > Options > tab Matching > Place Scans.
- When you update the ScanManager, you can also deactivate the box.